I found this WSJ Article a great article to our discussion today. I really tend to agree (although I'm not sure of anything anymore.) The author sets up his view as empirical, but is it? This article definitely belongs in the WSJ and not the NY Times, and I suspect there's some ideology in there as well. This bothers me because I don't want my own (or anyone else's) ideology to keep the world from a good, if not the best, solution. Throw your brains at it; let me know what you think.
My favorite part is the Kenyan economist's quote, "For God's sake, please just stop."
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
great article Chris. I am excited to compare Dr. Sach's and Dr. Easterly's books in a couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, a lot of people read articles like this and think that the author is suggesting we abandon Haiti. This is not the case. Immediate humanitarian aid is very helpful in situations such as natural disasters, famine, and drought. But perhaps it is not the best remedy (maybe it's even harmful) for long-term development.